Popular in Asia, buckwheat pillows are especially good for those with head, neck and shoulder issues and is recommended for therapeutic purposes.
If you're regularly visiting a chiropractor and looking for a pillow for neck pain, the Ara Buckwheat Pillow would be our first recommendation. The buckwheat hulls can be adjusted to contour to your body for personalized support. They then solidly lock into place for consistent, stable support. This is our firmest pillow; some might even call it "hard." The Ara has a distinct feel that takes some getting used to, but its ardent fans swear by it for uninterrupted, deep sleep. Some alternate using the Ara with a softer pillow during the week, depending on how their body feels.
The Ara is a relatively heavy pillow. Its smaller size (a compact 14x20") offsets the pillow's dense heftiness. Its zippered cover allows you to remove or add buckwheat to your preference for a thicker or thinner profile, which makes the Ara suitable for all types of sleepers.
Buckwheat is considered naturally hypoallergenic. (Note: We do not recommend the Ara if you have a buckwheat flour allergy.) It is also one of the most breathable pillows out there that sleeps cool. When the buckwheat adjusts, it makes a gentle rustling noise, which will subside once you settle in for the night.
To get a sense for how the Ara Buckwheat Pillow "feels," its firmness and how it moves, check out the 2nd video in our image gallery (to the right).
Not sure if the Ara is for you? Take the Slumbr Pillow Quiz to find your comfiest pillow.
Compact size (14" x 20"), comes with fit-to-size pillowcase
- Hulls have been dusted, triple-cleaned and frozen. They do not contain pesticides, herbicides or other chemical agents
- The hulls are flattened for consistent feel and to avoid poking through the cover
- The pillow has a zippered unbleached cotton cover + pillowcase
- Hulls can be removed for adjustable thickness
- Remove hulls for stomach sleeping
- No flame retardants used or added
See FAQ for more information. Compact size (14" x 20"), comes with fit-to-size pillowcase Cover made in USA Sewn and filled in the USA
You might like this if you:
- Love very firm support
- Have back/spine/neck problems
- Want something that will mold to your head without shifting